2 new pitches. Central. Historic. Evolving.
Glasgow Green has witnessed centuries of history, but the city’s oldest public park continues to evolve. The latest stage of its development is the creation of the new Glasgow National Hockey Centre. Specially designed to host the Glasgow 2014 Hockey competition, the facility will consist of two synthetic hockey pitches, as well as athlete and official support areas.
Glasgow Green is located close to the City Centre, near the River Clyde, and the park is home to all sorts of interesting features, including the Doulton Fountain and the magnificent Victorian People’s Palace Museum and Winter Gardens. Glasgow Green will also host the start and finish points of the Marathon and the Road Cycling and Time Trial events.
The new hockey facility is owned by Glasgow City Council and sits adjacent to the Glasgow Green Football Centre. When the drama of the Hockey competition is over, the world-class sporting facilities will remain, acting as headquarters for Scottish Hockey and being used by Glasgow schools for training and competition.
- The common lands of Glasgow Green were gifted to the people of Glasgow by Bishop Turnbull in 1450. The park was originally used for washing linen, grazing animals and drying fishing nets.
- In 1732, a washhouse was built on Glasgow Green by the banks of the Camlachie Burn. It was Glasgow’s first ‘steamie’,
- Glasgow Green hosts major events all year round. These include the World Pipe Band Championships, the Great Scottish Run and the Glasgow Show.