A Glasgow 2014 spokesperson said:
“We’ve been really delighted with the enthusiastic response to the first day of Glasgow 2014’s Ticketing Programme. We have already processed many thousands of applications through our website and continue to do so as quickly as possible. We appreciate the patience shown by customers during periods of high demand.
“But this is not a sprint – everyone has until Sept 16 to make their choices and get their applications in and we encourage everyone to get involved in Scotland’s biggest-ever festival of world-class sport.”
Note to Editors
1. The Commonwealth Games is an international, multi-sport event involving 71 teams of athletes from the Commonwealth of Nations. The event was first held in 1930 and takes place every four years. Glasgow 2014 will be the 20th Commonwealth Games and will be held from 23 July to 3 August. It will feature 17 sports in 11 days of competition with 261 medal events on show. The Games will play host to 4500 athletes and sell 1,000,000 tickets with the event aided by an army of 15,000 volunteers. Glasgow 2014 Ltd is the official name for the Organising Committee tasked with delivering the Games in partnership with the Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council and Commonwealth Games Scotland.
2. Glasgow 2014’s official partner level sponsors are Longines, SSE, Virgin Media, BP and Emirates. For more information on Glasgow 2014’s full sponsor family, please visit http://www.glasgow2014.com/games/our-sponsors
3. Glasgow 2014, the Commonwealth Games Federation and UNICEF are working together in an exciting partnership that will transform the lives of children in Scotland and throughout the Commonwealth. Using the power of sport and culture this unique partnership aims to inspire, enable and empower the children of the Commonwealth to be the best they can be.
4. The first phase of ticket sales will be open from 19 August to 16 September. It makes no difference whether fans apply on the first or last day of this four-week window. For high-demand sessions and the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, or for venues where seating is limited, you can buy up to four tickets per household. This is the fairest way of ensuring more people have a better chance of getting tickets for these events. It’s normal practice for a wide range of sporting and cultural events,
5. People apply for the tickets they want. It’s not a lucky dip - there is absolutely no chance of requesting tickets for, say, Netball and being given tickets for Table Tennis. Similarly, if someone asks ask for four tickets, they will either be successful or unsuccessful in their application for four tickets. They will not be offered one, two or three tickets.
6. 2/3 of tickets are £25 and under.
7. For Athletics, there are six price categories, but for most events there are two or three price bands to keep it simple.
8. Only 8% of tickets are set aside for sponsors. Our sponsors pay for tickets like everybody else.
9. Prices for the Opening Ceremony start at £40 and the Closing Ceremony at £30.
10. Ticket applications will be accepted online or with a Ticket Application Form (available within the Ticketing Guide which was published on 23 July).
11. ATP Event Experts is the Games Travel Office Provider for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and part of the ATPI Group, one of the world’s fastest growing corporate travel and events businesses. Since 1984 the ATPI Group and ATP Event Experts has offered corporate sponsorship activation and travel and event services for a wide array of global sporting events including the UEFA Champions League, Rugby World Cup, and since 1997 the previous ten Olympic, Paralympic and Winter Olympic Games around the world. For further information about corporate hospitality packages please visit www.glasgow2014packages.com, or contact the Games Travel Office (GTO) operated by ATP Event Experts on Glasgow2014@atpi.com
12. The World Press Briefing is being held in Glasgow on 2 and 3 September 2013. Registration is now open via the Press Operations extranet ‘The Pulse’. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.