The Kelvingrove Lawn Bowls Centre is located approximately 1.9 miles west of Glasgow city centre, on the north of the River Clyde.
The Kelvingrove Lawn Bowls Centre will host the Lawn Bowls competitions. Owned by Glasgow City Council, the centre has one of the most dramatic settings of all the Games venues, situated next to the magnificent Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and overlooked by the equally spectacular Victorian edifice of Glasgow University.
There is a long tradition of bowls at Kelvingrove and over a period of two years, from 2010 to 2011, the facility was upgraded to international standard with the reconstruction of five bowling greens. Additional seating has been installed for the Games, so spectators can enjoy both the sport and the setting.
The adjacent park Kelvingrove will play host to one of the four Festival 2014 venues.
- The earliest known reference to bowling in Glasgow dates back to 1595, when it was banned during the Sabbath. A Society of Bowlers was formed in the city in 1804 and the popularity of the sport soon grew. By the 1990s the city had over 100 bowling clubs.
- In 1852 the City of Glasgow purchased land to create the area which is now known as Kelvingrove Park. At that time the west end of the city was rapidly growing and the park was created as a place of recreation for local people.
- As part of the development work for the Games, the topsoil from the former Kelvingrove bowling greens was recycled at two of Glasgow’s municipal golf courses, Lethamhill and Ruchill.